Creativity and Ageing

Recently I had the benefit of jurying a show of young artists. I was struck by the level of creativity. The level exceeded what I have seen in other adult artists in the area.

Interestingly, I read an article recently that seemed to indicate that the aging brain is more distractible and somewhat more disinhibited than the younger brain Apparently changes in the aging brain may make it ideally suited to accomplish work in a number of creative domains.

A number of studies on aging suggest that the aging brain is characterized by a broadening focus of attention. These studies indicate that highly creative individuals also employ a broadened rather than focused state of attention. 

Other studies indicate that older individuals have access to an increasing store of knowledge gained over a lifetime of learning and experience. Combining bits of knowledge into novel and original ideas is what the creative brain is all about.

It's not clear at what age this process begins.  In any event, I look forward to being more creative as I get older.


I'm still working on my painting of an old typewriter.  Here is another pic of the work in progress.  There is probably between 5 and 10 hours of work remaining on this painting.
As I was demonstrating at DeSerres yesterday, it was interesting to see the young children who were not familiar with typewriters.  

The Tulip Festival has began and there are a number of art related activities. I hope that you get to enjoy some of those events.

Have a great week,
Danielle

Comments