My watercolour studio

When I started painting, I used to pull out my supplies and to set up on the kitchen table. As most beginners, working with limited space was the norm. When my husband redid the basement a couple of years ago, we planned a studio so that I can have the space and convenience of having my supplies and painting in progress remain accessible. 
 
I now have a wonderful work space with the following attributes:
  • Medium size windows that provide natural light during the daytime. Ideally one wants northern light for soft constant lighting through the day to avoid glares. My windows face the west which is quite satisfactory.
  • Pot lights above the counter which limit reflections and far enough to prevent hot-spots on the paper. 
  • Large enough counter (3” X 14”) to leave by paints, paper and anything else I want. This is useful since I’m often working on two paintings at a time.
  • Large drawers for supplies for the full length of the counter.
  • TV and DVD player or instructional videos or just listen to the news, or even listen to/watch Breaking Bad.
  • Quit area away from house traffic.
  • Wall space for some of my work.
  • Bookshelf for reference and inspirational books
 Who can ask for more? I’m very fortunate to have this convenient space in my own home.
Danielle Beaulieu watercolor studio

 

Today's watercolour

I'm working on a bouquet of roses. I’m purposely not painting all of the details and trying to suggest the rose petals with certain lines and value.  This painting will be mounted on an ampersand box in the future.
 
 
Danielle

Comments