Are there trends in watercolours?

I am seeing lots of watercolours on dresses, skirts, stationary, packaging and even wallpapers this year. 

We are used to seeing trends with clothing? Are there trends with watercolours?

Traditionally, watercolours were soft, subdued, and gave a calming feel to the viewer. Many years ago, watercolorists leaned towards realism with landscapes and still life as topics.  

Today you'll find many watercolour abstracts and impressionist style. Watercolourists paint any subjects including figures, florals, etc., many of which with a high level of sophistication. I've been noticing that paintings from the last decade are more vibrant.

Is there a trend? I don’t know, but I have noticed a certain style of streetscapes like this - which I find very attractive.

Joseph Zbukvic


This one is by Joseph Zbukvic. Many other painters have similar styles such as Alvaro Castagnet,  Herman Pekel, Thomas W. Schaller, Iain Stewart and Keiko Tanabe.

This week I finished my triptych of yellow daisies. Here it is.
Danielle Beaulieu triptyck of yellow daisies

 Have a great week.

Danielle

Comments

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on the post and painting of the week.