Visit to Montreal Museum of Fine Arts

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of visiting the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts with some new friends from the ArtEast community. This is one of Canada's most famous museums. It houses a wide collection of international contemporary and Canadian exhibits from some great masters, and straddles two buildings, the 1912 original and its 1991 across-the-street annex with underground galleries that connect the two sites.

We saw many tasteful European paintings, Canadian art and contemporary art. As for the 1+1=1 exhibition, I just don’t get this stuff. I was put off by some of the art, such as photos of body in a morgue. Really???   

I discovered and enjoyed the comical paintings of Kent Monkman. Take a look at the bottom of this painting where you will see an aboriginal man remove his wig (long braided hair).



The best part of the day was when we visited a number of wonderful art galleries in old Montreal. There are so many talented artists amongst us.  I discovered Stefan Horik, the son of Vlademir Horik of which I am a huge fan and have one of his originals. Another wonderful surprise was Michael Foers. His skies and trees are enchanting.

It’s been a crazy week and I’ve only had a chance to paint a few cards. Here is one for my dear husband for our anniversary.
Danielle's watercolour of a rose


Have a great week

Danielle

Comments