Artist motivation

One of the great advantages of pursuing art is the personal freedom I enjoy as a recreational artist. As an artist, I am the master of my studio, and what happens there is completely up to me. No one can tell me how to create, and no one can define success for me.

As a public servant who is looking forward to retirement (in a few years), the pleasures and freedom of art are quite opposite from the day to day challenges of work in the federal government.

As in most areas in life, we like to “succeed”. Each artist uses different metrics to define success. Often times, our priorities determine how we approach our art / past time. Here are three broad categories of motivation of why artists are artists.

Artistic Achievement
At the deepest level, many artists create for the sheer love of creation. They will spend years studying and training to hone their craft. Time spent in the studio is focused on the pursuit of excellence. Every other consideration is secondary.

The constant effort to improve is one of my greatest motivation.

Recognition
No artist creates in a vacuum, and many would argue that no work is complete until it has been shared with an audience. Many artists hunger for the opportunity to share their work. Art is communication at a very emotional and often visceral level.

For some artists, the prospect of an award or critical praise of their work is more important than any monetary gain that might come from the sale of the work.

For others like me, a simple “like” on Facebook or a comment on this blog brings me much gratification.

Monetary Gain/Financial Stability
Many artists aim to create a business around their art. Art sales, while not easy to attain, can allow an artist to gain independence to create more art. An artist who successfully sells his/her work earns the freedom to focus more time and energy on creating.
Although I've sold a few painting, achieving financial independence from art is not something I aspire to.

This week, I completed this large yellow single rose.
Danielle's watercolour single yellow rose



Danielle


 

Comments