Scam for artists - Artist's Network University

I started my watercolour adventure with Bob Davies' very extensive and comprehensive watercolor course as a series of 9 (count them, nine!) DVD's, each with hours of video demonstrations covering a vast array of techniques and subjects. Bob is a very talented, and congenial artist and presents the material in a very friendly and practical manner. Many of the techniques are presented in the context of full painting demos, which gives you a great hands-on experience of how they work in a real painting. This is a monumental effort by Bob, with an outstanding product to show for it.

Within a year of purchasing these DVDs, Bob launched “Art Tutor”. Art Tutor is the most wonderful source of information for artists of different mediums (watercolour, oil, acrylics, pastels, etc.) I joined the first day it was launched and have never regretted it. The site offers 24 hour access to online exclusive lessons by well-known artists, areas for members to share their efforts and experiences, forums for discussions to occur and valuable articles. What else would anyone want?

Unfortunately, I was tempted by some of the courses offered by Artist’s Network University. This site claims to be online education program from the publishers of North Light Books and other leading fine art how-to brands housed under The Artist’s Network.

Recently I succumbed to one of these courses. I’ve always admired and follow the work of Joe Cibere. The course that was listed as “How to Paint 3-Dimensional Watercolors – taught by Joe Cibere” seemed interesting. So I signed up at the cost of $180 for the four weeks. This is expensive but thought it would be interesting to pick up tips from this master.

It all went downhill from then. This is not an instructor led course as I was expecting. What students receive is a download of a 10 page document (which I already had from a previous online search) and a link to a youtube video (which I had already seen numerous times). This is the entire material for this 4 week course at $180. Every week, students are expected to load to their efforts onto the site for comments. Does this seem like a scam to you? It does to me.

I've been trying to contact them to get a refund since the moment I saw the material for the course. I don't see why I would need to pay for material I already had and is available for free on the web.  Unfortunately, Artist’s Network University cannot be reached by phone as their lines are always busy and they have not replied to my daily emails.

I’m posting this blog to inform others who may be tempted as I was by this “professional” looking website. Beware this is a way to scam you out of your money.

Anyone looking for courses should join Art Tutor where they will find great value for their money and a pleasant community of participants and approachable tutors.  Bob, I apologies for being tempted by others and I've learned my lesson.
The grass is not greener on the on the other side of the fence!

This week I’m getting ready for tomorrow's (August 23rd) Art in the Park event in Cumberland.  Here is a painting completed recently.
Danielle Beaulieu's watercolour of a barn in the fall


Hope to see you tomorrow and if not have a great week.
Danielle

Comments