Fleeting impressions

Have you ever driven in the country side at 80-100 km/hr and seen a beautiful scene and then thought that would make a great photo, or painting in my case. Then you make a U-turn to try to find what you saw. However, somehow the scene never looks like your first impression. Why is that? Is it because the highways have the best views or is it that our first fleeting impression is distorted and perfected by our imagination? Are we initially seeing what we want to and creating something in  our mind's eye that really isn't there?
I'm not sure which of these contributes more to my frustration but I'm convinced if I could capture every one of those first impressions on paper, I would have some really amazing paintings. But alas, many momentary images evaporate into the ether, never to appear on paper. Some are not forgotten and do become a reality. More and more I am able to visualize a painting from a reference and feel what attracted me to the scene. Every time the end painting recaptures in me that initial feeling, I know I have succeeded. By comparison, the photo reference looks flat, lifeless. Those paintings that capture my first impressions are the ones that give me a great sense of accomplishment.

Today I am working on this scene which only comes from fragments of my imagination. The colours of this painting were inspired by a yoga studio I visited recently. The Moksha Yoga Studio has selected me to exhibit some of my paintings in their wonderful facilities which promote ethical, compassionate and environmentally conscious living.

The above painting will be mounted on an 18" X 24" wallboard and be on exhibit at the Rendez-Vous des Couleurs art show being held next weekend in Gatineau. I hope you will visit me.

Rendez-vous des couleurs

Danielle

Comments