My Watercolour World

So I thought today, I might give you a tour of my watercolor world. And you don’t have to come all the way to Cumberland see it, all you have to do is scroll below.

I only started watercolours a few years ago. It’s true. I never knew I had that inside me. Even though I paint every few day now, it’s still a surprise to come into a whole room dedicated to the messes I make and to see my art table covered with paint, palettes and brushes and know they’re mine.

I think it’s because I didn’t grow up with them. I have always loved to make thing.  I used to love to sew and make my clothes as well as those of my son. I still have a closet filled with needles, thread, fabric and patterns. Maybe someday I will mix the two and paint on fabric

I’ve always mixed up my hobbies. I fell in love with the art of cooking in my teens and still love to give dinner parties, loved surprising people with fancy meals and deserts. I’ve also crocheted too many things to remember, from humpty dumpties on plastic egg shells that used to carry nylons to sweaters to afghans. I also have knitted my fair share of sweaters and Christmas stockings.

During the weekends I walk into my studio early in the morning, before the sun has come up…all quiet, birds singing outside the window about my counter, or in the winter, when I paint to the hum of the furnace going off, with CBS news in the background, full of new ideas and a blank piece of paper in front of me, waiting for my brush and that first drop of color, and think about how this all came about.

I still remember the first year of painting. I’d spend the week looking at a newly acquired “how to paint” book or newly found youtube video and decide with anticipation which lesson I wanted to attempt. I would measure each of my brush strokes trying to reproduce what I saw on the pages. Oh what fun!

Each week I was painting something different, never really focusing on any particular skill. It was all good because it was all about watercolours and I loved every moment.

Recently, I’m able to focus on what really matters - practice! My watercolour readings have evolved. I learn more about principles that will help me evolved into a better artist. I try to focus on fewer topics and explore different ways of rendering them while improving particular skills.

The following routine repeats itself every weekend. After I think I’m finished with a painting, I quickly take a photo and load it up on the computer which gives me a more detached view of the watercolour. For some reason, once on the screen, I see changes I want to make that were not apparent by looking at the watercolour which I've been staring at for hours. I still can’t figure it out but I am able to spot if I haven’t incorporated enough values or have shadows that are wonky or anything else on the computer screen.  Apparently, some folks look at their paintings in the mirror to spot corrections. I must try that some day.

Then I go back in my studio downstairs and I finish the painting and then take another picture and record in a folder on my computer. Then I store it away. Some get posted on FaceBook or Pinterest.  

I have a significant stack of these paintings stashed in a large drawer. Of course some of them end up in frames and some of those in shows and new homes. Occasionally, I need to make room for new paintings and throw some of the old ones out. Although this could be a sad moment for some, I always feel good because it’s only when looking at past paintings that I am amazed of the progress I have made. The difference between my earlier paintings and recent paintings is so large that I sometimes wonder why I didn’t give up during the earlier days. Painting is more than just about the final product it’s all about the process of discovery which I will never tire of.

Here is another small painting along the same theme as last week.
Danielle Beaulieu watercolour of field

I hope if you are thinking about trying watercolors, you might feel encouraged to give it a try. Worse-case scenario is that you have special gifts to give, little watercolor notes to tuck into letters, or art that matches your house to hang on your wall; it’s really a win-win; making something beautiful is within reach of everyone and having something you can give is one of the secrets to a wonderful life

Have a good week
Danielle

Comments