Fear of painting portraits

I hope that you had a good Christmas; I did – food, family and friends were great. Here is to wishing that you also had a positive experience.

For Christmas, my husband and my son bought me a set of 6 DVDs and book from Ian Roberts. Yahoo! This set is to help me learn more about the principles, tips, and techniques needed to create strong and visually interesting paintings. Beginning with great design elements contributes to paintings with great composition; hence more visually appealing.   In the next week before I return to work, you can bet that I’ll start watching these DVDs with great interest.

I’m still working on the commission I told you about last week. It is my first figure painting and causing me some anxiety, so I’ve been procrastinating and finding many other things to do. Painting figures scares me. I’ve been able to avoid figures since I started painting a few years ago. Getting the right proportions and the right skin colours petrifies me. This fear is not rational in this circumstance because there is no face to paint which is what scares me most. All I’m painting is the back of a woman. But then, I feel stuck with painting the hands. You may see it next weekend. I’m trying to get it done soon to allow me to move on to other paintings and watching my new videos.

On the positive side of my procrastination, I painted this small painting of apple blossoms. It is in preparation of a larger painting of a branch of blossoms.
Danielle Beaulieu's watercolour of apple blossoms



Wishing you all the best for the new year.
Danielle

Comments