New Watercolour Magazine Subscription

Sometime back in November, I subscribed to a French magazine entitled “L’Art de l’aquarelle”. I first heard of this magazine from an online friend who lives in Spain (yes that is you Ingrid - thank you). She raved about the quality of the articles. On Monday, I received my first magazine and I now know why it was recommended to me. This is an upscale magazine for watercolorists. It offers interesting articles about some of the biggest artists around the world. These watercolour masters share their personal history, technical secrets and anecdotes. In addition, the magazine covers all styles and technical approaches to watercolour. For those who do not read French, this magazine is also published in English.

The first article is about Le Concours mondial de l'Aquarelle / The World Watercolour Competition 2014 held in Narbonne, France last October. This competition attracted 2,000 artist participants from 82 countries and more than 50,000 attendees. What surprised me was that five of the seven prizes were awarded to Chinese watercolorists. Who knew that the Chinese artists had embraced watercolours and excelled at it? Oh I wish I could attend one of these shows to admire all of the beautiful paintings.  For now I'll have to be content with the photos in the magazine. The first prize was awarded to Chen-Wen Cheng for his painting entitled “Loving Mother”. Here is that painting:
Chen-Wen Cheng's Loving Mother

This week, I offer you another winter scene that I painted in the past few weeks. There are a couple more that you have not seen yet.  I’m starting to like doing these winter scenes.
Danielle Beaulieu's watercolour of birches by the creek

This weekend, I might start the large apple blossom branch I’ve been wanting to do for the past weeks.

Hope you have a great week.
Danielle

 

Comments