New Year resolutions and watercolours

Have you made your New Year resolution? To be honest, I don’t really make resolutions; especially not the standard ones since I already eat a healthy diet, don't smoke and go to the gym 4-5 times per week.

All I know is that in 2015, I want to continue improving my painting skills and knowledge. I’ve been continually learning and applying new techniques and principles in the past years and I want to continue doing so.

My Christmas holiday time has been the best in a years because I didn't have to work and I had lots of time to paint and learn new things. For Christmas, my husband and son bought me a set of DVDs and book by Ian Roberts on improving the composition and techniques for paintings. So I’ve been reading and watching some of the new DVDs since Christmas.

In addition, I started a series of online lessons from a web site called Art Tutor. I joined this site a couple of years ago. In the past year, Art Tutor created a series of progressive lessons called the "Academy". If ever someone would be interested in learning how to paint (watercolour, oil, pastel or acrylic), I would certainly recommend they join this site. The Watercolour Academy focuses on the building blocks to learning how to create watercolours. It uses short exercises that progress from the foundations to more difficult skills until you're painting full scenes with confidence and ease. 

Prior to starting to watch these DVDs and lessons, I finished my commission painting; here it is at different stages.  I also painted another winter landscape which you'll see next week.

Danielle Beaulieau's watercolour of a figure
In addition to the DVD set,  I also got one of the most original Christmas gift from my husband. Would you believe that I got a new dolly to transport my paintings and other stuff from the car to my booth when I go to art shows? How many of you got a dolly for Christmas?

2015 is already shaping up to be a very big year and I have plenty of ideas of scenes I want to paint and a few art shows lined up. I may not make New Year’s resolutions, but I will certainly need to focus and prioritize how I spend my painting time.

So here is to 2015…………Happy New Year everyone!

Danielle

Comments