Exploring NYC Museums

In two weeks, I’ll be in New York City with a few friends from the Arteast Ottawa Association. We’ve signed up for an “art tour” that is organized by a local association. We’ll be spending four days in art museums and galleries. Last Spring, my husband and I visited NYC and had a wonderful time. Of course, we visited later in the season when the trees where in bloom which meant it was great to wander through the city and its parks.

However, this time in NYC, the weather will be much cooler which means I won’t likely mind spending most of my time indoors looking at paintings.

Although last year we spent almost an entire day visiting the MET (Metropolitan Museum of Art), which is one of the biggest museums in the world, I’m looking forward to going back. The museum has a wide array of art, historical artifacts, photography, and other exhibits. There’s even a real Egyptian tomb in here. The highlight for me remains the number of paintings from the impressionists.

The impressionist galleries at the MET are some of the most popular and crowded in the entire museum. This is an extraordinary collection. The numerous Monet’s alone offer the opportunity to study the development of his style for his earliest works. The breadth of the Degas collection includes numerous exemplary studies of his signature ballerinas and jockeys in varied media such as paint, pastel and sculpture. And the list goes on. 

I’m also looking forward to seeing the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) because apparently there is a room of large Monet water lilies. Although I have seen some of the large water lilies paintings in Paris, this will be a treat.

Danielle's creation
This week I painted something completely different. I rarely paint still life. However, a few weeks ago, I purchased some oranges, lemons, grapefruits and limes for the purpose of trying something different. I had fun slicing them up and trying different arrangements. Here are two paintings that are uplifting with their colours. It was interesting to use colours such as orange that I rarely use. What do you think?
Danielle Beaulieu's watercolour of citrus fruits

Have a great week,
Danielle

p.s. today, in my other blog for watercolorist, I explore painting on different surfaces
 

Comments