How do I start my art collection?

People buy art for various reasons: to embellish their home, as an investment for the future, to extend their collection or maybe they enjoy all forms of art and they want to support local artists. Whatever your reason is, before starting your own art collection, it is advisable to do your homework and do some research in the art field in your area.

The best way to start an art collection when you are a novice in this field is to buy pieces that you like and enjoy looking at while on your wall. For that, local galleries offer artwork from both established and emerging artists. There are also numerous artists selling their works on the internet. Depending on your budget, there is an artwork to match it. Alternatively, many sites offer prints after originals. For example, prints of my paintings are available from Crated. You can buy two or three prints of your favorite artist and visit him or her again when they have new work and buy an original. Once you make your first purchases, your art collection is born.

Cultivate your passion for arts by visiting galleries, opening events, auctions, museums, open studios and any other opportunities out there. The more you see and learn, the easier it will be to choose the right pieces for you. Try to meet artists at these venues and listen to what they have to say.

Here are a couple of artworks from my collection - the first is from Pierre Labrecque and the second is from Vladimir Horik.
Pierre Labrecque

Vladdimir Horik

Danielle's creation
Last week was a productive week. If you recall, I started a second larger painting of apple blossoms. Well here it is.  I didn't think that I'd have it completed for today but I was fortunate to have the time to dedicate to it this past week.
Danielle Beaulieu's watercolour of apple blossoms
I'm not sure what I'll be painting today. You'll have to stay tuned and see next week.

Have a great week
Danielle

Comments