Interesting story about one of Auguste Rodin's Sculpture

While in New York City last weekend, I spent most of my days in museums looking at art.  I was fortunate to be travelling with some friends who have great knowledge about art and art history.  I don't know enough about art history to know if I like it. That's why I'm currently reading the book entitled "The Annotated Mona Lisa: A Crash Course in Art History from Prehistoric to Post-Modern" by Carole Strickland. Maybe I'll know more when I'm done.

However, I know that I appreciate a work of art more when I know the story behind it. Today I want to share the story of a beautiful sculpture that I saw at the Metropolitan museum of Art in NYC.  Thanks to my friend who knew I would enjoy this story and shared it with me.

August Rodin created a beautiful sculpture called "Burghers of Calais".
Rodin's Burghers of Calais
In 1885, Rodin was commissioned by the French city of Calais to create a sculpture that commemorated the heroism of six of its prominent citizen, during the dreadful Hundred Year War between England and France.  To spare the people of the city from starvation, six men surrendered themselves to King Edward III, presumably to be executed.  In the end, Queen Philippa, Edwards III's pregnant wife, managed to change his mind and save the burghers.

Rodin’s sculpture depicts the internal struggle of each man as he walks toward his fate.

If you're interested in knowing more about this story, the MET prepared this wonderful exposé.
 
While in New York City, a friend and I made a quick trip to the Hell's Kitchen flea market before boarding the bus on the last day there.  I took a few interesting photos of items I may paint later. You'll have to stay tune.

New Painting
During the long bus ride to and from New York City I had lots of time to paint on the bus.  I decided to try a spring version of a winter scene I painted a couple of months ago. Spring is coming and I can't wait to see life in my garden again. First there will be the crocuses, daffodils, tulips, and then lots of perennials for months and months. So the calendar says that Spring has arrived- for me, Spring arrives when I can play in the garden.  That will be in about 5 weeks I hope.

Danielle Beaulieu's watercolour of field

Have a great week,
Danielle

Comments