FaceBook "likes" and "shares"

A few years ago, the term “like” was simply a word to describe someone’s preferences, for example: I like grapes. Today the meaning of the word hasn’t changed but the context it is used in has. Liking on Facebook is now a primary way that people express their tastes online. For businesses, those "Likes" can translate to profits.

For artists, receiving “Likes” and “Shares” is today's social affirmation. It’s interesting how we interpret these to be similar to applause. Few "Likes" might result in the artist feeling like he or she is not good enough. For many of my artists colleagues the fear of this so-called negative affirmation usually leads to them hiding “off the grid” where it's more comfortable and play it safe.

So what's in it for the person hitting that "Like" or "Share"? Is there a value in getting involved and supporting the creator?  Maybe we need to think of what happens if we choose not to get involved.  The content will likely cease to exist, similarly to the small businesses that weren’t locally supported.

Supporting various FaceBook pages becomes more challenging as there is more and more content we wish to support. I’m certainly caught in this by following so many talented artists that I discover.


I appreciate all of those who have and continue to follow my watercolours through FaceBook. Gros MERCI / THANK YOU!!

Caution: this does not apply to selfish content which includes someone's latest workout or meal which provide no real value to our community.


Latest creation
Today, I thought I would share a work in progress. I've been working on the background and mid-ground area of this landscape. I'll finish this painting today which will include the water flowing from the back to the lake in the front and some reflections in the water.  I'll also work on the stone outcrops and some of the trees.
Danielle Beaulieu's waercolour in progress

The rest of the weekend, I have to go to the Orchid show and get ready for the Nepean Fine Arts League show next weekend - April 24, 25 and 26th at the Ukrainian Banquet Hall at 1000 Byron Avenue, near Westboro in Ottawa. 

Have a great week,
Danielle


 

Comments