Let the fun begin

Today, the two and a half day Nepean Fine Arts League Spring Art show begins.

I'll be displaying almost a whole new set of watercolours than what was on display last Fall at my last art show. It will be exciting to see the reactions of the people who will be visiting the show. I'll also have my latest landscape that I finished last weekend.


Danielle Beaulieu's watercolour of birch trees and a creek
This painting will be entered in the upcoming Ottawa Watercolour juried show.

So what do artists do at art shows? Well we smile a lot, make eye contact when the person is ready to make eye contact. Most people do not want to be approached until they have had a chance to peruse what you have to show. Only then will they likely engage in conversation. It is really a fine art to read the needs for an individual customer and how much interaction they want with the artist.

We all know how this game works. I'm the same way when I go to craft shows or stores. Give me a bit of breathing room and a chance to look around before approaching me. 

Only then do the questions begin. Where was this painted?  Is this a real scene or something I created in my head? This artist connection is something art patrons can get at an art show that they may not get at a gallery. 

I welcome all questions because they make my day more interesting and I love to share my passion for watercolours. Many people want to know if the artist is local. There is a greater focus these days on supporting our communities. If you're like me, you like to purchase a piece of art from an artist that they have a good feeling about or there is an interesting story attached to the painting that they can connect with.


Preparations for the show began earlier this week with having to select what paintings I wanted to bring.  That's more difficult than one might imaging. Then I have to create labels for each painting and pack them and load them in the car.  In a few hours, I'll have to unpack and set up my booth. And then, I'll wait for the fun to begin.

I also enjoy meeting other artists who share the same passion.  All in all, it's going to be a great weekend.

If you have a chance, please stop by to say hello. Here is the poster for the show held at the Ukrainian Banquet Hall at 1000 Byron Avenue, Ottawa.

Have a great week
Danielle


Comments