Lots of paint time

In the past 6-8 weeks, I haven't painted much. Changing job has taken a lot of my regular free time. I used to paint about two watercolours per week. Now, it takes me a few weeks to finish a painting. I don't mean to complain, I enjoy the challenges of my new job. I just wish there were more hours in a day ;-)  I'm sure that things will settled in the coming weeks.

However, I'm making up for it this weekend with a two-day watercolour workshop with Doug Mays from Hamilton.  Participants will be painting 4 watercolours during this weekend. All of them are landscapes - yahoo!!

Doug paints in a loosely representational style. He works quickly, using big flat brush to set the scene and then finishing off the details with a medium brush. I like loose style paintings, but on Saturday (yesterday) I felt like my previous learnings had abandoned me.

We're not here to create masterpieces, but to practice some new techniques.  As one stretches in new directions, there is much to learn and I have to be willing to feel like I'm starting all over again - with results that I'm not too happy with.

Wish me luck today. I'm sure it would take me months of relentless practice of change my style to paint loosely.  I'll have to decide if this is a direction I want to go to now or maybe save this idea for when I retire.

Here is one of the paintings I did yesterday. It was sort of loose until I started shaping the rocks. Nevertheless, I'm not pleased with this one.
 
I redid it quickly last night because I wanted to see how It would turn out without emulating someone else's style. 
Danielle Beaulieu's watercolor of waterfall
Have a great week,
Danielle

Comments