Different backgrounds

A couple of weeks ago, a client asked me if I would paint for him a heron from a photo that he took along the Ottawa River. The photo is of a blue heron standing in muddy water. The setting wasn’t ideal at all (in my opinion), so I suggested that I come up with a few options with different backgrounds. As you see from the photos below, the one on the left is very different while the one on the right which most closely resembles the original photo.
Danielle Beaulieu's watercolour of herons
Which of the two backgrounds do you prefer? I like the one on the left, but suspect that my client will choose the one on the right as it is closer to his memory of that special moment when he took the photo.

You might have also noticed that I'm not quite sure on how to paint the feet of the bird while in the water. Whatever he chooses. this is something that I'll have to figure out for the final painting.

This week, I need to get ready for the "
Art on the Farm" that will be held next Saturday August 15th (rain date Sunday) from 10am to 4pm at the Central Experimental Farm (Arboretum, around building 72, east of the Prince of Wales roundabout). This is the first time that I participate in this show, but I've heard from various artists in the past year that it is a very delightful event with free admission and free parking.

Normally, it's always a challenge deciding what paintings to bring. However, this time since I have a number of paintings on exhibit at the St. Laurent complex, I have fewer to choose from;-).  Deciding what to bring is akin to deciding what to wear to go to work...

Yesterday, I started working on another painting with flowing water around rocks.  I wish I had a watercolour fairy since I feel like I've come to an impasse and not sure how to resolve the issues that I'm having.  I need to refer to some of the numerous books and videos that I have and maybe something will come to me.

Have a great week,
Danielle

Comments