Painting with limited number of colours

I enjoy painting with a controlled number of colours because it helps create harmony and connect shapes in a painting.

Here are some of the principles 
I use  in choosing a limited number of colours for a painting:
  • The colours have to be able to make a dark and light colours
  • A few spots of contrasting colours can provide additional interest
  • Some favorite "go to" colours are used since I know how they'll behave
  • The colours, when mixed together will help the eye transition from one shape to the other.
I wish there was a formula to help me make easier color choices. However, choosing colors gets easier with time.  Trying different combinations of colors to see what might happen is a lot of fun.  With trials, there are many combinations that are not great.  However, a lot can be discovered by unexpected colors!

A couple of months ago I painted a similar landscape and wasn't pleased with the colour choices because there wasn't enough harmone. I thought I'd try it again with colours that are more harmonized.  This one is composed of two blues, greens and yellows. The painting is only 8" X 16".
Danielle Beaulieu watercolour of presqu'ile on lake
I know I mentioned last week that I'd show you a commission I'm working on. Yes 
I may be procrastinating and I'm still in the trial phase of trying out colour combinations.

Have a great week,
Danielle
 

Comments