I love painting flowers

Painting flowers is a real pleasure. It doesn't matter what type of flowers. Flowers announce the arrival of spring. The thought of any blossoms always brings happy memories - especially when you live in an area with short summers and long winters.

I like to paint with soft lines and creating the occasional textures which is an approach that lends itself well to flowers. In addition, I like building layers of paint to bring the illusion of depth and drama into flowers. Pink flowers are some of my favorite to paint, even if for some reason many pink colours are more difficult than others to work with, as many are staining colours and do not lift. For any flower, I like to use at least 4 different variations of the main colour to keep the bloom interesting.


In the past six months I've won two prizes with flowers, so I guess my love of flowers shows through the paintings.

Here is my latest floral painting.  I took many photos of these white daisies this summer and have only started playing around with different compositions.
 
Danielle Beaulieu's watercolour of white daisies
In addition to enjoying painting florals, I also take great pleasure in following other artists who paint flowers.  Some times I indulge in books about this topic, other times it is videos that capture my interest.  Regardless, there is always something to learn and never enough time to indulge in my hobbies, whether gardening or painting.
 
Have a great week
Danielle

Comments