Interesting Abbey

A few weeks ago, I had the pleasure of visiting the Cistercian Abbey of Le Thoronet which is hidden in the Provence valley.  These buildings which were constructed in the late twelfth and early thirteenth centuries are sitting in a peaceful oak forest.

I took a number of photos of the various areas, including the cloister that I'll paint as soon as I decide on which photo.

When I was taking photos I knew that I would paint this one scene because it had a series of connecting rooms with each entrance having a different type of arch. These ruins were in decent shape, except for the roof.

It was a pleasure to paint this scene with the various warm browns, blues and grays of the different shaped stones. I was trying to achieve a sense of serenity which was felt when I was standing at this opening and looking out.
This weekend,  I'm torn between painting more scenes from my recent holiday or fall scenes which are inspiring at this time of the year. Don't we all wish we had more time to do more?

Have a great week,
Danielle

Comments