Popularity between landscapes vs florals

It's certainly not a competition, but what type of paintings are most popular - landscapes or florals? I'm not sure if anybody has real stats on this.  Yesterday, I set up a booth to sell some of my art at a local venue.  All my paintings were either florals or landscapes.  Interestingly enough, I sold six landscape paintings (thank you art collectors) and no florals even if I thought some were more attractive than some of the landscapes.  But what do I know ;-)  I paint what motivates me at a given time.

Maybe landscape art has a calming effect. In one study, surgery or critical care patients who had a picture of a landscape on their wall had a decreased need of narcotic pain medication relative to their counterparts and left the hospital earlier.  Evaluations of art projects can link the benefits of creative expression to healing and greater wellness.

I enjoy landscapes because they allow me to escape to an area that is peaceful.

Do you have a preference between landscapes and florals?

Yesterday was the first time that I was displaying my recently completed paintings of maple leaves and goldfinches.
Danielle Beaulieu's watercolour of goldfinch
It never fails.  Fall colours draw a good portion of the population to the country to see the dramatic changing colours of trees, especially maples.  Since I missed it this year, these paintings helped me feel like I witnessed this spectacular phenomena.  Luckily, since the arrival of digital photography we have many photos of everything, including fall colours, which I'm very grateful for.

Now I have to go off to paint as my next show which is in two weeks is a three day event. Given the recently sold paintings, I'd like to create some new landscapes.

Have a great week,
Danielle


p.s. after publishing this, the following came to my attention.  According to a survey in Art Business Today, these were the top 10 best-selling subjects for paintings in the UK:
  1. Traditional landscapes.
  2. Local views.
  3. Modern or semi-abstract landscapes.
  4. Abstracts.
  5. Dogs.
  6. Figure studies (excluding nudes).
  7. Seascapes, harbour, and beach scenes.
  8. Wildlife.
  9. Impressionistic landscapes.
  10. Nudes.

Comments