John Salminen - One of my Favorite Living Artists

A couple of years ago, I came across pictures of watercolors by John Salminen. They were paintings of Central Park in New York City. His work describes compelling street scenes packed with details.

John Salminen has been painting since he was a little boy.  In university he began his training on abstract expressionism . He was then introduced to watercolours Cheng Khee Chee who was teaching a series of watercolor classes.

These paintings are mesmerizing, complex and beautiful.
John Salminen watercolours
John Salminen watercolours
Don't you find these hard to define colors interesting.  His use of neutral colours is excellent. In many of his paintings, he conveys shimmering streets and glowing neon street lights. After seeing photos of these paintings, I couldn't wait to see Central Park. When I did visit the park, I recalled the tall beautiful trees in these paintings.

Last weekend, I didn't get much  time to paint since I was at an art show.  However, to pass the time, I had brought my art supplies and painted this small painting.  Only a couple of colours were used here in this winter scene.
Danielle Beaulieu's watercolour of winter evergreens
I'd like to thank all those who came to visit me at the show last weekend.

Have a great week,
Danielle

Comments