Not fast enough

Earlier this week, we had a record snowfall. Approximately 50 cm fell in one day. This was a nightmare for most people and caused a number of challenges for commuters.  Many whined about it, others like me marvelled at the beauty it created. I worked from home that day and was treated to the most beautiful views. 

For some of my art friends in different countries who aren't familiar with snow, there’s nothing like waking up in the morning and seeing a sea of white covering everything.  Evergreens, especially spruce trees, are so beautiful when decorated with mounds of snow.

From my home office I could see the large snowflakes falling and accumulating on the large spruce and cedar trees.  In addition, every time I got up to refresh my coffee, the male cardinal was eating from the bird feeder that hangs outside the kitchen.
Later in the week, in driving to the park and ride in the morning, I got a glimpse of some beautiful scenery. However, it was too dark to take photos.  I also get home from work too late to take any photo. Consequently, I couldn't wait till Saturday to take some photos that I could later paint.

Guess what happened early Saturday morning? The temperature was above zero and it was raining - hence, no more snow on the evergreens.  I was not fast enough to take the photos I dreamed of all week.

Here is a painting of long shadows in the snow that I painted recently to replace another winter scene that I wasn't crazy about.  The other painting of a field of snow with a small fence was bugging me because it didn't have a focus point to key the eye interested.  As you see, this painting is in one of the old barn wood frames my husband made for me.
Danielle beaulieu watercolour of long shadows
Have a great week,
Danielle

Comments