Blue canning jars

Last year when I went to New York City, I took a few photos of Ball blue caning jars at the Hell's Kitchen Flea Market.  Not only is their history interesting, they are also full of character.  Some of these were designed for putting up fruits and vegetables in the days before refrigeration.

Recently a friend of mine lent me some of her blue jars and I took more than a hundred photos that I could possibly use a subject to paint.  Last weekend, I quickly chose one  and started painting it. A number of hours later over two weekends, I was finished. 
Danielle Beaulieu's watercolour of blue jars
It's only after I started painting that I noticed that jars in the background were showing through the ones in the front.

I would have never thought that this type of topic would interest me as a painting topic, but I'm discovering that these coloured jars are much fun to paint.  Mixing and applying layers of different blues, greens and greys is a great challenge.

Although I enjoy painting jars, my next painting will likely be a topic that is also found at flea markets.

Have a great weekend,
Danielle

Comments