New Whitney Museum of America Art in NYC

The new location of the Whitney Museum of American Art is excellent. It is adjacent to the beautiful High Line and offers numerous views its beautiful gardens.  The architecture of the building is interesting with its numerous outdoor areas and the glass façade gives you a feeling that the rooms are extended into the city space.

This museum focuses almost exclusively on American Art from the 20th and 21st century.  It has a reputation of being a museum that will help showcase the work of young and up-and-coming artists.  There are a few the outdoor sculpture areas with interesting works. Otherwise, the collection, while spread out over several floors, is not tremendously large and is bit too "contemporary" for my taste.  What was there did not correspond to my art interests.

This museum is very different from the Frick because it has large sterile galleries, open white spaces, imaginative exhibitions as opposed to richly decorated floors, walls and ceilings with the works of old masters of the Frick.

Although I am pleased to have visited the Whitney Museum, I will likely not make this stop next time I visit NYC.

On the High Line and in Central Park, I was treated to lovely, butterfly-like blooms of dogwoods symbolizing the beginning of spring.  There were three different types of dogwood trees with different colour blooms:  white, pink and chartreuse. Many photos were taken of these blooms - probably too many.
 
Last weekend, I decided to paint one of these photos of the chartreuse blooms. I love how the petals had thin red outlines.  It's too bad these trees do not grow in Ottawa.
Danielle Beaulieu watercolour of Chartreuse dogwood

This weekend, I started another watercolour of a scene found in Central Park.  I'm not divulging anything else at this point.... ;-)
 
New Exhibit and Show
Last weekend, I submitted three paintings for the Ottawa Watercolour Juried show that runs from May 19th to June 14th, 2016 at Trinity Art Gallery - Shenkman Arts Centre. I was hoping that at least one of the paintings would get accepted.  I was so fortunate to have all three paintings accepted in this show. 


Also on May 19th and 20th, I'll be exhibiting some of my watercolours, including the new one above, at the Nepean Fine Arts Spring show at the Ukrainian Hall, 1,000 Byron Street, Ottawa.

Have a great week,
Danielle

Comments