Enjoying painting some (antique) still life

Until not too long ago, my favorite topics to paint were flowers and landscapes.  I associated still life paintings with inanimate subject matter, typically commonplace objects which may be either natural (food, bouquets of flowers, etc.) or man-made (drinking glasses, books, vases, crystal, and so on).  Most of these topics do not really appeal to me, that was until I discovered blue jars.

Painting flowers and landscapes are still of interest to me, but my new interest in antique items has increased my interest in visiting antique shops. Who knew I would develop an interest in still life?

I was on vacation this past week and visited a number of antique shops and took a number of photos of jars, mill cans, old woodworking tools, etc... Here are some of the items that I saw. 
We came back home with an old reel push lawn mower, a few blue jars and nine old charming windows that I can use as old frames.

Recently, my husband asked me to paint something for the laundry room for a frame he had built that would also serve to hold brushes and rags. Sticking with the theme of old things, here is an old clothes line.
Danielle Beaulieu watercolour of antique clothes line
Have a great week,
Danielle

Comments