Keeping it quiet or not

Recently I was reading an article from an artist who believed that when you had an idea that fired up your enthusiasm that it was best not tell anyone or show it to anyone until the work-in-progress painting was well underway.  This artist felt that the early words could steal the thunder of the idea and you'd have to watch out for approval also.  He believed that someone might get all the verbal approval they needed and then have no need to continue with your project.

Similarly, Finnish painter and write Tove Janssson has said, "It's risky to talk about one's more secret dreams a bit too early".

I feel differently about the matter. Sharing an idea and even sharing the enthusiasm about the idea seems natural to me.  I often appreciated the comments and feedback received when sharing an idea or a painting in progress. The second opinion may even help shape my idea or painting for the better and may save me a lot of hassle in the long run.

When sharing an idea early, there also seems to be a greater commitment to follow through and deliver on that idea. So sometimes, the ideas don't turn out as planned. In those case, I can always start over or chalk it up to practice which is always a good thing.  To get some paintings that I am satisfied with, I need to produce many more as practice.

Earlier this week I shared a painting in progress on Facebook.  Although my hollyhocks won't be blooming for a number of weeks, I felt the need to paint some last Sunday when it rained all day.
Here is the finished painting.  This is the first time that I used blue of this intensity in the background of a floral and I think it makes the blooms stand out out more.  After painting this floral, I cut it up and put it in an old cabinet door as a frame.  This is why the painting had such odd proportions to start off with. This is my last cabinet door as the other three have sold.   However, I do have some "new" old windows with proportions that are similar to this. I'm still waiting for the idea to pop into my head for those.
Danielle Beaulieu watercolour of hollyhocks

Have a great week,
Danielle

Comments