Taking the right reference photo

Most of my paintings are from reference photos that I have taken. As photographs are the main source for my studies, I need a constant source for images of varied subjects. This means that I carry my camera with me almost every time I leave to house to go somewhere new.

You never know when taking a photo which one will be appropriate for a painting. Therefore it's important to take photos from many different angles, even angles that are similar but minutely different.  When I look at them later on my computer screen, the subtle differences between the reference photos are more noticeable. It's easier at that point to see what works and what doesn't. I hope that at least one of the compositions will jump out at me and say "paint me".

When I visited New York City this Spring, I saw a couple of blue jars at the Hell's kitchen flea market.  I was so excited that I quickly took my camera of what seemed to be a decent view.  However, when I looked through the view finder of my camera, all I could see were orange and yellow colours.  I put the camera down and then noticed that behind one of the blue jars, was the little item made of multicolour glass.  So I picked it up an moved it to a different location.

Maybe I'm getting bolder as I get older or maybe I'm more focused on getting a good reference photo, but then every time the booth attendant turned his head, I started moving the jars around to try to get different reference photos.  There were two blue jars on opposite ends of the display and my goal was to get them side by side.  Here is a painting of one of those photos.
Danielle Beaulieu's watercolour of blue jars
Today, I'm painting hollyhocks while the rain waters my garden.

Have a great week,
Danielle

Comments