Developing confidence

Developing any skills requires effort and often an unpredictable level of effort.  How much skill is required to feel confident?

As we improve our skill level, in painting or new sport or new job, we experience small successes and it is these successes that help heal the wounds of previous failures.  Whether right or wrong, it is the need for these small successes that provide us with the confidence to keep us going to improve our skills.

We can feel our confidence increase when we can answer the question "what is the next step" or "how do I do this".  However, success is not linear, sometimes we take one step and other times, it may feel like we are paralyzed or take one step backward.

Regardless of what we are trying to do, feeling more confident helps us become more successful in minor items. These small successes are cumulative and enable us to paint, play sports or doe out job effectively. 

Although I see noticeable improvements in my watercolours in the past years, the confidence level when undertaking a new painting varies.  What doesn't vary is the enjoyment of the act of playing with water and paint and the exploration that comes with it.  Most importantly, I feel fortunate and grateful that I get to experience this pleasure.

Are you conscious of the confidence building experiences that nurture you?

With the rain that came down this weekend, I spent my time painting instead of gardening.  I don't paint boats much but here is one attempt.  Most of my time was spent painting the background and waiting for the paint to dry;-)
Danielle Beaulieu watercolours
Have a great week,
Danielle

Comments