Loon calls

One of the things I like about canoe camping is how quiet things are. And I always look forward to having that silence broken by the howl of the loons. The display of loon calls often start later in the day and extend into the night. Sounds travel well on a lake and the loons sounds like they are outside the tent. It is a treat to hear loons when canoe camping.

During the day, it was interesting to see the parents teach the young one how to fish. I took numerous photos of the loons.

I wanted to paint a loon but wanted to try using only one colour - black. This approach is not unlike monochromatic painting (which employs a single color), but without a hue — just black and gray tones that come in between. A loon is a good subject or this as the bird is black and white. While this might seem boring at first thought, it actually provides a very minimalist look.

Here is a painting of a loon I saw last summer.  It is a small painting because I want to see if it would work out before trying a larger size.


Danielle Beaulieu watercolour

This approach is like taking a black and white photo. It creates a certain mood.

Have a great week
Danielle

Comments