Painting for juried art shows

Today a jury will select watercolours for the 150th Ottawa Watercolour juried show. What a great milestone this is for this association. Competitions such as these continue to allow artists to display their work among their peers, have it reviewed by esteemed judges, and most of the time receive exhibition opportunities.

A few weeks ago,  when I received the notice for this show, I felt stressed.  I've been fortunate with having paintings juried into recent shows and I hope to continue the trend.  To prepare for this jury, I spent considerable amount of time looking for original subjects and compositions to paint what inspired me. 

One of my ideas did not turn out as planned and will not be submitted to the jury. Luckily I managed to paint a few new watercolours.  In the end, these experiences are good and they help me grow as I want to improve as an artist and I hope that my artwork will end up in the public eye - in the juried show.

This pressure is not as prominent when I paint for art fairs and I probably do not push myself as much to improve for these events. Therefore, I appreciate the pressure for juried shows.

Here are a few small (5" X 7") watercolours of white daisies and blue poppies that I painted recently.
Danielle Beaulieu's watercolour of flowers
Have a great week,
Danielle

Comments