Movie: Maude Lewis

Recently, I had the pleasure of seeing the movie Maud Lewis.   Nova Scotia's' Maud Lewis overcame the physical challenge of juvenile rheumatoid arthritis to become one of Canada’s premier folk artists.


The movie has majestic images of maritime landscape and is accompanied by a beautiful soundtrack. In parallel, the film, subtlety focusses on the characters that provide emotional complexity - but not à la Hollywood. This is a tale of a woman asserting herself as a generator of both art and commerce while living an unconventional relationship and living in a 10" X 12" home. It is also a story of the power of creativity to transform a life and touch the soul.

Last weekend, I started a painting of old lanterns while at the Nepean Fine Art League show. Yesterday, after painting all day, I was able to finish it.  Here it is: 

Danielle Beaulieu watercolour of old lanterns

It seems that the more I paint old stuff the more I enjoy it. I started with a black and white photo then I drew my composition. I applied a wash of raw umber and new camboge across the paper. Following this, I created various mixes of browns and rust and painted one lantern at a time so they each had its own uniqueness. Then I go back and build up each of the lanterns.


Here are some pictures of the previous stages:
Have a great week,
Danielle

Comments