Always Something to Learn

It's a common belief that watercolours are intimidating.  This is probably because it is less forgiving compared to the acrylic or oil.

I fell in love with watercolour the moment I tried it  and today I have no interest in learning other painting medium - maybe later. 


However, there is much more that I wish to learn, in addition to getting over the fear failure. Iteration and constant practice is a requirement to improve. Every painting is a practice and I enjoy the lessons each one provides me.  As I move forward, it’s not about perfecting a single painting, but about exploring new ideas and learning along the way.


Watercolor is finicky, especially since you cannot erase anything completely. Blooms and other anomalies might appear. Some times, one color bleeds into the next more heavily than anticipated. Other times the defects in the paper come through. Variations in air temperature and humidity can cause unexpected washes. 

Here is a painting that I've just finished. The scene is from the Lake Place area. It could be from about anywhere in this area.  Now I need to come up with a title for it.
Danielle Beaulieu WAtercolour of swamp area

This is a busy period for me. On Sunday, there is a vernissage for an exhibit I have with another artist (Maureen Rooney Mitchell) from our artist collective Artress and we have a guest artist (Mari Brown) with us. 

This exhibit is in the wonderful heritage Byward Market Square, on the second floor.

The following week, I have a number of paintings in the new gallery in Cumberland.  I'm excited about the grand opening of that gallery.
I'm very interested in seeing how the old general store has been converted into a classy art gallery and studio.

Have a great week,
Danielle

Comments