Dealing with accumulation of art

Recently, I heard about a fellow artist who had to downsize his home into a retirement home and had a number of paintings that he could not take with him.

It occurred to me that most artists have a number of artworks that don't sell and deciding what to do with them is a challenge.  It's not clear what an artist should do when marketing no longer seems desirable or feasible.

I'm sure it's not easy for an artist to cut his or her loss and paint over paintings or on the back of them in cases of watercolours or repurpose them into other items or throw them out.  One can also donate them to charity.

Ultimately, a number of artists want people to have art to enjoy. I believe that we should all own “original” art. I started collecting art in my 20's many many years before I started to paint.  My priority is not to make a living from my paintings, rather I'm pleased that someone enjoys my art at an affordable price.

At the end of the day, I hope to see more artists selling and being appreciated for their effort in ways that don’t take advantage of their labors and talent.

Here is a small sketch I painted recently of a scene from Florence.
Danielle Beaulieu watercolour ponte vecchio
Have a great day
Danielle

Comments