How Many Shades of Grey

I started a new painting this weekend and it requires a number of different shades of grey and black.

Prior to starting, I had to explore my colour palette to find ways of creating beautiful subtle  and dark greys. My approach was to spend a couple of fun hours, mixing various colours together to see what I could achieve, I tried to keep the experiments to two colours only so that I did not produce mud.

I enjoyed that exercise and found it interesting to create numerous shades of grey. It was great to see the colours blending and showing different results - some good and some not so good.

Here is the painting that I am still working on and hope to finish within the next week.


Danielle Beaulieu watercolour of antique sewing maching WIP shades of grey

While in Soho, New York City last summer, there was a store that had two full walls of antique sewing machines and a few large commercial sewing machines throughout the store. The walls were such a beautiful sight. Here is one of them.

Although I have much done on this antique sewing machine, I'm trying to find out how I'll finish the back ground of this painting. Any ideas?

Have a great week,
Danielle

Comments