Benefit of a lack of formal art education?

A few weeks ago, I was honoured to receive first place in the watercolour category at the Ottawa Art Association juried show.  Being recognized for the hard work I have been putting into my watercolours during the past couple of years made me proud.

When looking at all of the watercolour paintings that evening, I was struck by how much mine was different from the others.  For a few seconds, I questioned my style and wondered if my lack of formal training was holding me back and whether I should conform more to traditional watercolours.  Then I read the comments of the jurors and appreciated the path I had taken.  All three judges mentioned my unique style as a contributing factor for the first place.

Therefore, I will continue down the path I'm on and continue developing my unique style and most importantly stop doubting my lack of a formal art education.  I'm fortunate that I am disciplined, focused and like challenges that force me to constantly learn. Although, this doesn't mean that I won't continue learning from various workshops and videos.

In the past week, I start a new painting with one of my blue jars.  I've been longing to paint one with some blue marbles for a long time.  Here it is in an early stage.
Danielle Beaulieu watercolour WIP blue jar and marbles

This painting will be part of my upcoming exhibition of antique items.  The finished painting will be shown in next week's blog.

Have a great week,
Danielle

Comments