Painting Crystal #1

I've always enjoyed looking at crystal.  A few months ago when I attended the Ottawa antique show, I bought a few different recipients made of crystal.  I'm considering painting a series of paintings with crystal vases and other shapes.

Painting crystal may appear complicated at first glance.  I can confirm that it requires lots of patience. First I start off with the large shapes and then break them down.  Using masking fluid allows one to preserve the white of the paper to make the glass sparkle. Trying to convey transparency and light requires attention to details and the use of dark colours.

Here is maybe the first painting in the series.  As you can see, I prefer to paint the background first for topics like this. This was necessary to ensure the flow of the fabric.


Danielle Beaulieu watercolour crystal serie
Next week, you will get to see the final painting.

Have a great week

Danielle

Comments