Healing effect of painting for concussions

About nine weeks ago, a metal grid fell on my head causing a concussion. Since then, I suffer from "post-concussion syndrome" that includes headaches/migraine, double vision, dizziness, nausea, over-active nervous system, mental slowing, fatigue, etc. I had not realized that post-concussion syndrome is considered a brain injury.

The purpose of this blog is to spread awareness to others about concussion as the symptoms are invisible to those around the injured.



For those in this situation, it is necessary to adopt a lot of energy conservation techniques which requires huge ‘lifestyle’ changes. This means avoiding triggers such as computer, bright light, movement, people, television, visually stimulating environments/activities, cognitive tasks, exercise, noise, etc.  This doesn't seem to leave much to do.


Here is an illustration of the level of effort and energy required for someone with a concussion.



Unlike my first concussion where the more severe symptoms lasted 10-12 weeks, the current challenges persist and are expected to last for a few more months according to my physiotherapist (yes there is such as thing as physio for this type of injury).   Currently,  I plan my days around minimal activities and self-care practices.  In addition, I carry a timer with me to ensure I rest and change activities every 20 min.  After experiencing an important setback during the holidays, the Parkwood pacing system helps me gradually heal with minimal setbacks.  This system is counterintuitive for someone like me who always liked to push the limits at the gym.

I am finding that the self-soothing qualities of watercolours are helping immensely because my executive functioning tires easily. Even then, I can only paint 20-30 min at a time. However, drawing is more of a cognitive activity and is not soothing and increases my symptoms. Luckily, I can spread out a new drawing over a few days. Audiobooks have given me an interesting activity during downtimes, which are frequent (20-30 min per hour).  Luckily the city of Ottawa library allows free access to audiobooks.

I'm lucky that I enjoy painting as art is an antidote for feelings of depression, anxiety and stress, which are just some of the various effects of concussions. The most relaxing place to be now is my studio.


Although isolation is necessary for my recovery, I dearly miss the interactions with friends and family and my outings at the gym.

Here is the latest painting I'm working on. Surely it will be completed by next week.



Have a great week

Danielle

Comments