Silent Auction

A number of weeks ago, a friend and I went to the Orleans Thrift store to purchase some "props" for a special series we are working on.  We acquired some very interesting items - you'll have to wait to hear more about this.

When in the store, I noticed that it holds silent auctions of some beautiful pieces.  The collection of old silver containers caught my attention on that day.  So I went back on the day the silent auction closed to make sure I would win and….Eureka, I won.  I am now the proud owner of a series of old silver containers, one glass piece and a large plater. Here it is.

The reason I was interested in acquiring these items was to paint them - what else.  I selected a few of the items and played with different compositions.  I landed on something and started the painting a few weeks ago and completed it in the past week.  I felt like calling this one - how many different greys can one mix - but that's not very catchy. So instead, I'm calling this latest painting "Silent Auction Winnings".

Danielle Beaulieu watercolour of silver items

This painting was one of the most challenging that I have completed. Funny enough the background and foreground gave me the most stress. Another watercolourist once said the following when he was ready to paint the background: "Now comes the tricky part: the background wash. Lock the front door, draw the drapes, turn off your cell phone, banish the dog and the kids, and be prepared for a high-wire act."  I'm glad that I'm not the only one that stresses over what appears to be simple. Painting even washes on large surfaces is not easy.

Now onto painting something with colours.

Have a great week

Danielle

Comments