Borrowed Props

A number of months ago, a fellow artist who builds clocks out of reclaimed door knobs, gears and other objects lent me a few boxes of items. It's always a privilege to meet fellow artists who are so generous. In one of the boxes, there were some beautiful old metal floor grates. I immediately knew I wanted to paint them.

Of course I took reference photos and various compositions of all of the contents. However, I was most looking forward to painting the grates and it is the first subject that I am painting from the borrowed objects.

You saw a WIP last week. This painting took a lot of planning and steps due to the details in the grates. It is almost finished. As with many paintings, I need to let it "simmer" on the easel for a while and see what else I need to touch up with the tulips and the leaves.  This process allows me to take some distance from it and become more objective.

Danielle Beaulieu watercolour of old grates

A few days ago, I was in the new Riverside art gallery in Wakefield, Québec and noticed large gorgeous square grates.  I was in awe. Strangely enough, I did not take photos of it.  I might need to go back some day for this.

Now I move onto another painting involving fruits.

Have a great week,

Danielle

Comments