Busy in retirement

You'd think that when one retires that one would have lots of free time on their hands. Although it hasn't been very long since I stopped working, I'm finding life to be more fulfilling, and oddly, at least as busy as it was when I was employed.

I expected to have more space in my life after I retired. Actually, I got busier. The truth is probably that I could have more space, if I wanted. But, that's not one of my goals. You can take on new interests or deepen existing ones. 

I have been fortunate with one new opportunity that is keeping me in the studio. I'm very excited to announce that from the end of July until mid-October (exact dates to follow later), I will be the feature artist at the Da Artisti Gallery in Cumberland. I'm extremely proud to be part of this new approach at the gallery. The gallery currently has a must see juried exhibit composed of gorgeous glass pieces

For this great opportunity I'm working on two colourful series, both unnamed so far. The first will deal with fruits and vegetables one can see at the market or supermarket. The second will combine crystal and candies.  This means that for the next seven weeks, I will be painting many hours every day.

I've already painted a few watercolours so far. Here is another one for that exhibit that is almost finished.


Painting the checkered table cloth was a challenge with the patterns and folds.  I don't often paint from this perspective which was a learning opportunity.

I also have a few projects in the garden that I've been waiting a few years to undertake.  Life will be no quieter in the fall as I prepare for a solo show in one of the city of Ottawa galleries.

Have a great week,

Danielle

Comments