Portrait or landscape?

Did you know that there is an emotional connotation attached to different orientation formats for paintings and photos. Apparently horizontal signifies "peacefulness" while vertical (aka portrait) conveys "majestic or active". Well what about square, well that symbolizes risky, contemporary.

I've encountered a new dilemma with my most recent painting of old tea cups. How does one decide on the orientation of a painting? Ok, so in most cases this choice is fairly straight forward. However in this case, I like the painting in both orientation. The structured side of my brain likes the tea cups facing up because that's how we are used to seeing them. However, these tea cups were lying on their side in an old box when I saw them and I actually like the portrait version.

What's your preference?

This painting is almost completed. I'm still working on the shadows. Then I will turn away from for a few days. Then, I will be able to objectively re-evaluate it, tweak it and make the necessary changes





Have a great week

Danielle

Comments