Something light

A number of artists paint subjects that sell or are common. Although it's ok for artists to want to sell their work, that shouldn't be the only reason for selecting a subject. Artists should also paint what they are happy painting. 

According to Art Business Today, here is the list of best-selling painting subjects:
  1. Traditional landscapes
  2. Local views 
  3. Modern or semi-abstract landscapes 
  4. Abstracts 
  5. Dogs 
  6. Figure studies (excluding nudes) 
  7. Seascapes, harbours, and beach scenes 
  8. Wildlife 
  9. Impressionistic landscapes 
  10. Nudes
If an artist's favourite subject happens to be the most popular, that's great. But realistically, if one is really good at painting nudes, they will likely have more success concentrating on their strengths than they would painting mediocre landscapes.

My favorite subjects, antiques, are not on the above list. So what does that say? These past weeks I painted old toys.  It was interesting to paint plastic as I had never tried that.  Here are two small paintings I completed.  I hope to add at least one more to this duo.


Each of these are 8" X 10".

I have a photo of an old jack in the box calling me.

Have a great week,

Danielle

Comments