Keeping It Fresh

A big portion of getting ready for any art show, is to produce new material. Here are some of the practices I adopt to have a fresh inventory.
  • Try not to be too serious about producing a finished painting. I enjoy the process of creation and painting to allow me to experiment.
  • Keep an increasing inventory of reference photos and go through them regularly for inspiration. This requires that I continuously carry my camera and planning outings to find interesting topics.
  • Regularly examine other artists' works to learn about different techniques and compositions.
  • Read art magazines to continuously learn.
  • Practice often with variety of styles, colour themes, subject matter and techniques to expand my repertoire. By trying out different things, a technique might stick.
  • Taking breaks is important to putting juice in the tank.

In a couple of weeks (Saturday November 23rd), I'll be participating in Wall Candy which is an art show of more than 100 artists at Lansdowne park (Ottawa) in the Aberdeen Pavillon.

For this year's show, I painted some pine cones and cones from tamarack trees. When in a forest, I enjoy seeing and collecting them. Did you know that pine cones can stay on the tree for more than 10 years before dropping to the ground.?

I'm looking forward to seeing the reaction to these at Wall Candy. Of course I'll have a number of other topics

Here are my new paintings.


Have a great week,

Danielle

Comments