Too long to finish a painting?

Is there such a think as taking too long to complete a painting?

Sometimes if you fuss with a painting for too long, you run the risk over overworking it. If you declare a painting finished too soon, you run the risk of it not bringing it to its full potential.

Ultimately it's not about how long a painting takes, but about how pleased you are with the result. Finishing a painting in no time at all isn't, by itself, an achievement. It's what the painting looks like that's the achievement.

A number of weeks ago I started a large painting on a very large (30" X 42") Fabriano sheet. For some reason the progress was exceptionally slow on this one. It seemed to take forever to apply the washes to give shape to the corks. It's not uncommon for me to spend 20+ hours on a painting. This one took a lot more.  Maybe I was just procrastinating because the colours were very similar and not as much fun to do.

This painting is almost finished. It is going in my son's new house. I'm calling it "Pop and Pour".



Pop and Pour- 24" X 36"

My next project involves flowers from my garden. Stay tuned.

Have a great week,

Danielle

Comments