Supporting your art community and local artists

As commercial and public art galleries, public exhibits, art workshops and art shows/fairs shut down due to COVID-19, how can we support our art community?

Unfortunately, people across all sectors, including the arts. are experiencing lost wages, delayed work, and are having to shift their businesses to adapt to a new normal.  A few artists have started to adapt to the changes and are bringing their practices online. Now, more than ever, it's important to offer support to impacted groups if you are able.

I'm extremely fortunate that I'm retired and benefiting from a pension. Having art exhibits and galleries close is only a disappointment for me and certainly not a hardship.

Here are just a few ways that you can continue to support the arts and contribute to a healthy cultural community, while practicing physical distancing.

1. Participate in an online art class
As you are most likely in isolation, this is a great time to learn a new art skill or try your hand at a new technique.

I recently posted two new workshops on my Facebook site.

2. Set up a commission with your favorite artist

This could be a great time to ask and artist to paint something unique for your walls, as your spending a lot more time looking at those walls now.


3. Share art with your own circles
If you have been quietly following an artist on Instagram or Facebook, you can share their work with others to boost their social following which could possibly lead to sales.

4. Buy artwork directly from an artist online

Most artists have websites to allow you to select artwork for your home.

5. Offer emotional support

Artists, like most people during this difficult time could use a little extra emotional support.

Being an artist in a normal economy can be a financial struggle, being an artist during this crisis can be downright stressful.



As mentioned above, I'm one of the fortunate ones during these unprecedented times.  I've also been lucky to have some people join my online classes thereby increasing the amount of social interaction I'm getting.
In this past week, in addition to preparing for my online art workshops, I worked on the last watercolour for one of my washrooms. Here it is: 

Serenity, 24" X 18'

To create this painting, I used various photos of roses of different colours.

I now move onto painting sunflowers for my bathroom.

Hope you are adapting for this Easter holiday,

Danielle

Comments