Are you ready to fail?

I was recently listening to an accomplished artist talk about her work and one line stood out. She said "How many times are you ready to fail to learn something". This really got me thinking. I certainly do not think like this when wanting to learn something. Thinking like this artist could certainly be conducive to great progress.

Since one of the worst side-effects of failure is losing the desire and the courage to try again, it would be valuable to expect to fail a number of times to reduce discouragement and giving up.

Whether in the early or late stages of their journey, I know very few people who are ready to fail.

Michael Jordan once articulated this principle, he said "With great risk, comes great reward. If you never make a real attempt, you’ll never succeed. Instead, you’ll wonder what might have been if you hadn’t been so afraid to fail". In addition, he also said "I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."

Here is the latest painting that I'm working on.  I have a few tweaks remaining.  This is a scene from a large cheese counter in the south of France.  If you know me, you know I LUV cheese...... and pairing it with wine. I even have four books about cheeses.

25" X 18" - More Cheese Please

As I consider how to finish this painting, I've started planning my next painting. Get ready for some colours!

Have a great week

Danielle


Comments