Why shopping local matters

As you begin your holiday shopping, please think about local artists, craftsmen, and other creative small businesses that you love.

Going local does not mean walling off the outside world. It Means nurturing locally owned businesses which use local resources sustainably, employ local workers at decent wages and serve primarily local consumers. It means becoming more self-sufficient and less dependant on imports. Control moves from the boardrooms of distant corporations and back into the community where it belongs.” – Michael H. Shuman, author of the book Going Local.

Here are some other reasons to shop local:
  • More money is kept in the community because locally-owned businesses often purchase from other local businesses, service providers and farms.
  • Purchasing local helps grow other businesses, including supporting local artists as well as the local tax base.
  • Typically, local business owners donate more to local charities than non-local owners.
  • Local business also donate more to local sports team and invest more in the community’s welfare and future.
  • The unique character of your local community is defined in large part by the business that operate there.
  • Local businesses often hire people with more specific product expertise for better customer service because they have to face you day after day.
Do you need any more reasons to support your local businesses?

I'm grateful that two local businesses support me as an artist. Da Artisti Studio & Gallery has been a strong supporter since it opened 3 years ago.  Recently, Makerfeed Co. has also been supporting me by allowing me to hang more than 16 of my artworks that fit their decor.

Yesterday, I brought a few new paintings to Da Artisti , including these two to replace sold artworks.

Final Days on Tenth Line - 12" X 12" - $100

Dance with Me - 12" X 12" - $100

My latest painting of cheeses from the south of France is also hanging in the gallery.

Cheese Please - 23" X 31" - $650


Lastly,  I'd love you to drop by Da Artisti to chat about some of the artworks in the gallery on Friday December 4th between 4 and 7pm. I plan on having a few new pieces for you to preview.

If you're wondering about what's happening to the project I told you I was starting this past week.  I can tell you that I started, however with my art practice being very busy, including classes and small art works exhibit, I haven't progress as much as I would have expected, but then that was to be expected. Hahahaha.

I hope that you have a great week and see you Friday, right?

Danielle

Comments