Coming Home

Do you ever paint certain topics and hear a little voice in your head that says “Is anyone even going to like this?” I often hear that voice when I start to paint antiques/ vintage items.  Luckily, this inner voice is quietened shortly after I start my painting. The more I advance with my painting, that internal critic disappears.

This past week I had a strong urge to paint something rusty. I searched through my photos and found some rusty gears.

Painting this topic felt like coming home or eating comfort food.  It felt so good and the paint just flowed on the paper. I enjoyed every second I painted the rust and shadows.

The reality is if you don't care about the topic your paint, you can't expect anyone else to.  Many artist try and produce paintings they think they “should” be making. My advice and that of many others is to focus on create art that you care about.

I have a problem with this new painting and it is a recurring one, what title should I give this painting? Help...

21" X 17"  Searching for a title





Have a great week
Danielle






Comments